Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Prayers, Food & My PJ's Drawer

I'm re-learning a huge lesson throughout all of this.

There are milestones in my life where I have been taught what friendship really is.  To experience this once in a lifetime is a true miracle.  I'm amazed to say that I am recalling having experienced my friends rally around me in an amazing way twice before: back surgery and the birth of our sweet Henry.

Prayers
On Saturday, we had friends show up in the most special of ways.  At All Souls, there is a precious group of praying women.  Now, I have a lot of praying friends.  And I am eternally grateful for each prayer that has been uttered on our behalf.  I am amazed to say that we have heard from communities of believers all over the place praying for us.  Amazing.

But these women, these are the show-up-get-in-your-space kind of pray-ers.  They are the hold-your-hand, cry-with-you, anoint-your-head kind of pray-ers.  Andrew, Henry and I were beyond blessed when five of these amazing gals showed up at the hospital to sit with us, pray over us, bless us.  There are few things in this broken world as beautiful as a moment like that.

Food
At All Souls we talk a lot about hospitality and food.  :)  We think those things go together.  Meeting a friend where they are with food is a heavenly act of service.  Once we got home, we had a precious friend create a meal list for us that was filled in moments.  The food is already pouring in and it is, not only a huge help, but a nourishment to our hearts.  We are LOVED.

My boss actually asked if she could create a meal list for me and when I told her that 1) it had been done and 2) was completely filled, she wouldn't take no for an answer and asked for the contact info for the organizer of the list.

PJ's Drawer
Then there are the friends who are willing to do whatever it takes to help out.  When I was in the hospital, I realized that I'm in that awkward, late-pregnancy stage where I've outgrown some maternity clothes but not others.  And when Andrew was trying to figure out what to bring me to the hospital, he didn't know which was which.  And I didn't know what to tell him.  My drawers and closet were a disorganized mess.

So what do real friends do?  They show up, sit me up on the bed, and go through all of my clothes, pulling out what doesn't fit, organizing what does.  Getting out postpartum clothes, just in case.  Even packing another emergency bag if we were to rush off to the hospital again (and yes, that includes refilling my travel toiletries with more shampoo & conditioner).

This life is so messy.  To have friends who come and sit in the mess with us is, well, that's Jesus, isn't it?  They are being Him for us, to us.


1 comment: