Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hospital Stay #2

Well, here we are again.  Back in the hospital.

First, let me say that if one has to be stuck in a hospital, this is the one to be in.  It's just a year and half old and the views!  Oh my, this morning we watched Charlottesville's famous hot air balloons flying over the mountains.  Gorgeous!

Last Friday, we had our first, and relatively quick, stay at the hospital due to some unexpected bleeding.  That is not something you want to see when you are 2 days shy of being 29 weeks pregnant!

After a series of tests and ultrasounds, all things seemed just fine.  I was totally stable and the baby was just perfect!  After a check up at the doctors on Wed, we decided I should go on modified bed rest (I can get up and round, just need to stay home) to be on the safe side.

Well, we had another episode on Thursday evening and went straight back to the hospital.

You know what's amazing?  Thursday was UVA's first Thursday night game in 6 years.  That means my PARENTS WERE IN TOWN!!  They, of course, have season tickets and had just driven in from Virginia Beach.  That, dear ones, is God's providence--He really does care about the details.  What a beautiful gift it was to call them and have them at our house in a matter of moments so Andrew and I could get to the hospital. 

And I have to give a HUGE shout out to our neighbors the Smyths.  I love that Henry adores them and their sweet boys.  We dropped him off there before my parents could arrive and within minutes of our departure, Kim had sent us a pic of the boys on the floor playing blocks.  I'll tell you, Andrew and I both cried when we saw that pic.  There is nothing scarier for parents than rushing around the house trying to get to the hospital, worrying you're freaking out your toddler.  Kim and the boys were a HUGE comfort.

So, what is going on?

Well, the good news is that it isn't any of the scary things that worry doctors most.  No placenta previa. No major placenta abruption.  No eminent signs of labor--no contractions, baby is moving like crazy, cervix is looking stable.  ALL good news.

The best guess is that there has been a very slight, teeny tiny tear in my placenta.  PLEASE do not Google that.  (I was warned by the docs!)  While that sounds scary and it really can be awful, what is going on here is so tiny that they can't see it at all on the ultrasound. So, we're talking super duper small.  It doesn't pose any eminent threat to me or the baby.  I'm just at a higher risk now of something more significant happening.  As such, we're taking it slow and monitoring the situation diligently.  It looks now like I'll be at the hospital until Sunday late or early Monday.

So we ask that you join us in praying that there are no more episodes of bleeding.  If nothing else happens, I'll likely need to take it easy the rest of the pregnancy at home and will carry this active boy to term.  Sunday, Nov. 18 I'll be 30 weeks.  So we're praying for at least another 4 or 5 weeks but would LOVE another 8 or 9.  That's our prayer!  Thank you for joining with us in asking our precious Savior for these things.



2 comments:

  1. Well, my dear friends, we are certainly thinking of you and praying for all good things here in South Carolina. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I know the heartache of leaving for the hospital with one child and having another at home. The community of friends and families that lifts us all up is such a beautiful thing. I'm so glad you have that there. Sending lots of love to you all for an easy and event-free 8 or 9 more weeks!

    ReplyDelete