Sunday, May 8, 2011

Motherhood

How do you thank a mom? I think trying to count the raindrops is an easier task. Since becoming a mother, I've known the depths of love, patience, fear and sheer panic that a mother's heart can know.

I've also grown to appreciate my mom and the amazing mothers around me in ways I never knew possible. It is true. As a teenager, you know everything and from then on, you realize you know less and less.

Not only did God bless me with the most amazing mother a person could have, he kept on and kept on blessing me. Grandmothers who are more wonderful than I could say. A mother in law who's love for me is so generous and unwavering. And then all of those other "moms," the ones who didn't birth me but have given me so much love, direction and faithful pushes. Sarah Herring and Barb Oblinger are two of those precious "moms" to me.

I look around now and see all of those same "moms" coming along side me as I raise Henry. Chrissy, Kristen, Michelle, Krista, Cat, Brooke, Tobi, the Hullubamoms, the entire All Souls crew of amazing women, and countless others. Each of them teach me something or love Henry in a unique way that will keep him growing in the right direction--toward wholeness, toward Jesus.

This was my post on Facebook this morning: "Since having Henry, I have learned how important "moms" are--me and all of the other amazing women who care for and love into Henry. Thank you to all of you who are helping me be the best mom I can be. You may not technically be a momma, or you may be someone else's momma, too. But you're my little momma-support army. Today I celebrate you. I couldn't do it without."

Andrew surprised me with a mother's day brunch downtown. Here is what might be one of my favorite pics ever taken of Henry and me.


Here's one of my all-time favorite pictures of me and my mom. It was at the bridal luncheon the day before I married Andrew.

Here's Judy--my precious mother in law. Henry adores her (and so do I!).

And my precious grandmother--Mema Dodson.

Because she passed away before photos were electronic, I don't have an easily assessable picture of my other Mema. Just know that she was the best kind of grandmother in every way. I miss her so much.

Thank you, mom. I love you more than I could ever say. And thank you, to all of my other moms. I have needed every one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment